This event is coming up on April 13th behind the Boyd House in Southern Pines.
Each year we celebrate all things Longleaf, including the birthday of the Oldest known Longleaf in the world which is located there on site. This year our Longleaf is turning 471!! This is an all day event that brings together all the groups that work on restoring the Longleaf Pine ecosystem.
The goal of the event is to educate the citizens of Moore County about the Natural and Cultural history of this once great forest and why there is so much effort to bring it back. There are events for all ages, including birthday cake and a toast to the NC State tree. The day ends with a live demonstration of a controlled burn conducted by the Weymouth Woods Park staff.
* The Cultural and Natural history of Longleaf.
* The economic significance of LL to Moore county and NC
* The Biological significance of the LL ecosystem.
* The role of prescribed fire in the LL forest.
* The role of Weymouth Woods SP in educating the public about the LL ecosystem.
* Why devote an entire day to this forest and what to expect at the PFP festival.
* How do we know the age of our Birthday tree. (470 years old)
Park Superintendent, Weymouth Woods State Park’
Weymouth Woods Sandhills Nature Preserve
1024 Fort Bragg Road
Southern Pines, N.C. 28387
Sandhills Area Land Trust Outreach Coordinator